Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Response to Lecture 11-22-2011 “Aesthetics and Beauty”

Last week Mr. Z began the lecture talking about the differences between Aesthetics and Beauty, and how many people think they are one in the same. He told the class that the definition of aesthetics is “a set of principles concerned with nature and appreciation of beauty, especially in art.” He then showed us a few clips from Hamlet which he called “the greatest play by the greatest playwright”. In the video he showed the clips telling the story of how Hamlet’s father was murdered by his own brother and then the brother took the crown when Hamlet was the rightful heir. When Hamlet discovers this he goes to the rooftop and looks down at his uncle in repugnance and states that “one may smile but be a villain”. I think that it is true that outward beauty may be deceiving and just because something looks beautiful doesn’t mean it truly is. Mr. Z told us not to say that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” which I also believe is an incorrect way to define beauty.

Our group brainstormed on what we thought beauty was and the definitions from our group and from the entire class that I like most was that “beauty is that what is pleasing to the senses” and I also the different definition that “beauty is knowing the truth, even if its ugly”. I think both definitions describe different types of beauty and I like them both because beauty can be many things.

After lecture we listened to some interesting presentations. I really like the architecture presentation with the miniature lego figurines. I wish I had a house designed by that artist!

No comments:

Post a Comment