Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Project One: Spend an evening without any electricity.

I decided to do my lights out project on Sunday night since, for once; I was done with most of my homework that requires using the computer. It was dark earlier tonight because the time has just changed, and the perfect night to stay home and try this no electricity thing out since it was so chilly outside. I made myself an early dinner, and luckily I did before the electricity went out because without a fireplace, I would have no way to cook! My stove, oven, microwave, toaster, and fridge are all electronic so I realized I would have had no way to prepare a hot meal once it became dark. The one thing in the house I didn’t turn off was the fridge obviously because I didn’t want my food to go bad.
My husband loves candles so we already had plenty at home for me to start this project. He was away at military drill so I did this project alone, and glad I did because I don’t think he could go an entire night without TV.
It became dark as I was about to eat dinner so I decided to start lighting candles in the dining room, living room, and in the bedroom. The candles were very bright and lit up the house a lot better than I had expected. I ate, rinsed my dishes, and started to organize some mail and other papers that I hadn’t had a chance to go through recently. I quickly finished that since I didn’t have any music or TV to distract me, and so I decided to start reading my history book for the upcoming test.
Being that the book is so boring, at first I found myself reaching for my phone a lot, even though I had already turned it off. I realized that face book, words with friends, and text messages take up a lot of my homework time and are a big distraction! Although I usually can’t stand reading my history book, after awhile I found myself more and more interested in it. Being that the book is written about colonial women in the 16th-18th centuries, reading about them in a candlelit, quiet house made it easier understand and imagine the kind of lives they had. Usually I can only get through a couple of sections of this book a night, but instead I went ahead and finished an entire chapter. After reading, I picked up the house a little bit, blew out most of the candles in the house, and was ready to go lie in bed early. I put a candle on my nightstand and started rereading the 4th Twilight book, Breaking Dawn until I found my eyes getting heavy. I blew out the last candle of the night, turned my phone back on (for next morning alarm purposes only), and off to dreamland I went until it was time to get up for work on Monday.
This project taught me that there was a life before electricity and to me it seems life was a lot less stressful before technology came about. I’m glad I did this project because now I know the easiest way to get studying done and that reading, not TV, is a good way to help me get a good night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment