Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ch 2 Van Gogh Wheat Field and Cypress Trees vs. Claud Monet Fisherman’s Cottage on the Cliffs at Varengville

Van Gogh’s Wheat Field and Cypress Trees was painted in 1889 and was first shown in The National Gallery, London.  Although Van Gogh was a great artist, he was also a man with many strives and I think it shows in his art. I believe he saw life as a struggle. In a letter to his brother Theo he wrote that "paying a hard price to be a link in the chain of artists, in health, in youth, in liberty, none of which we enjoy ... " (Living with Art pg 18). I find this painting interesting for two reasons. The first is that it has a lot of color and is a fantasy like image; maybe he wanted to escape from his everyday life and paint something beautiful.  On the other hand, I also find it fascinating because when I look at the painting I see a bit of loneliness and sorrow.  The skies are blue, but they have swirls of grey, and the field looks windy; as if a storm may be coming in.

Claud Monet Fisherman’s Cottage on the Cliffs at Varengville was painted in 1882, 7 years before Van Gogh’s Wheat Field and Cypress Trees. Unlike Van Gogh, Monet lived a long, prosperous life and I believe he painted the world as he saw it.  The fact that he lived a long, successful, almost “normal” life may be the reason he is not as well known as Van Gogh because to many normal lives aren’t as interesting as the abnormal. Like most people I find the painting very easy to like, and think it gives a serene feel.  
The similarities I see between Van Gogh & Monet’s works are that they both show us nature’s beauty in a colorful way and the artists’ unique brush strokes have a way to make the painting come to life.  Some differences I notice is that Monet’s painting seems more realistic and has more depth while Van Gogh’s piece seems fantasy-like or perhaps cartoonish. I also notice that Van Gogh’s strokes seem to be “swirled” while Monet’s seem to be kind of “sponged”.




No comments:

Post a Comment