Tuesday, September 6, 2011

3 Million Years of Art in 150 Minutes

Tuesday’s lecture briefly covered the vast progression of expression
and application of human creative skill and imagination over the past
3 million years.  The art forms that we went over were in visual form
such as painting or sculpture, and producing works to be appreciated
primarily for their beauty or emotional power.   I really enjoyed the
art map Mr. Z used  for lecture vs. the power point lectures that most
other teachers use because the map allows you to put a plethora of
information together on one map, and you can go into as much depth on
a certain subject as you want to.  The art map started out simple with
just the four main eras in the history of art: the Ancient era, Middle
Ages, Renaissance, and Modern era.
This is my first art class ever so I am very unfamiliar with art
history. I was very surprised and somewhat fascinated to learn that so
many great artists suffered mental and physical conditions and that
those conditions may have contributed to their individual artistic
style.
To me the most interesting era of art would be the prehistoric era
because the intricate details put into the art from ancient times is
similar to what some artists do today. It amazed me that people had
such skill and aesthetics thousands of years ago even before the
inventions of electricity and plumbing. Although the prehistoric or
“ancient” era is most interesting I enjoy the art of the Renaissance
most, especially the Gothic era.
In class Mr. Z asked what our favorite type of art is and I responded
that I like Gothic Art, but I later realized that my favorite
paintings are by Victoria Frances who paints modern gothic fantasy
art, and that is a bit different from what we went over in class. It
was interesting when he showed the comparison of modern “Goth” vs.
“Gothic” art because although the two are different they have a lot of
similarities and you can see that the modern “Goth” style was mostly
inspired by the Gothic Art of the Renaissance era.

No comments:

Post a Comment